Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 15:49:29 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS slowness on 100 LAN

On 7 Apr 99, at 13:17, Suresh Rajagopalan wrote:

> I am seeing very slow response over NFS between a 3.1 client and Solaris
> X86 NFS server, with both NIC's set to 100M-FD.   Writing a 2MB file takes
> 30 seconds.
>
> Some data points:
>  1. The NIC card is a 3COM, and the ifconfig options are set to use
>     "media 100BaseT mediaopt full-duplex"

<snip>

>  5. The switch is a 3COM Superswitch, with ports forced to 10FD or 100FD,
>     depending on the machine (autonegotiate is off).

I'd turn off the FD.   Based on information in another list, when
congestion occurs the 3COM switches tend to just drop packets as a
means of flow control.  The sender has to time out before a retry is
attempted.  Bad design.  A number of other switches do the same
thing.  All in all, FD may not be 	quite ready for prime time yet.

Also, you didn't mention the box you were using, but there are some
documented problems with Compaq boxes and 3Com PCI cards - the
cards can only access the bus one fourth as often as it should be
able to.  All in all, I'm phasing out my 3Com cards.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
    Every time I lose weight, It finds me again!