Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 110 11:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        tcg@ime.net
Cc:        fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: src tree owners

> > > Why?  You have to be su to write to anything in there by default (and I
> > > know this from many personal experieneces forgetting to su to root before
> > > editing my kernel config :-).
> > Erm, perhaps that was why he was asking? :-)
>
> Thanks James.. :)
>
> > In any event, you have to be root to be able to *install* anything
> > you've built from the source tree, so there doesn't seem to be a great
> > deal of point in changing it.
>
> Yes, I understand the need to be root for install. No problem.
> But what about general editing of the source.
> I would like to make it so *I* don't have to su.
> It's very anoying to get into tweaking a source file, Go to save
> and it pops up `Read Only`!
>
> I know, su'ing first will solve that problem.. :)
>
> > On Unix, the `proper` way is for configuration files to be owned by
> > root - it's not a good idea to allow just anybody to change them!
>
> I Agree! My question was/is about the Source tree!

	You might consider simply adding yourself to the 'bin' group
	(and setting the SGID bit on the directories).  The default
	configuration seems to leave the sources g+w and owned by
	root.bin.

	In a multi-user environment you should consider installing
	tripwire and being particularly careful to monitor it for
	source tree changes.  Anyone who can get a simply change into
	any source file -- and get 'root' to build it can effectively
	take control of the entire system. (This is true of the system
	binaries as well -- but more insidious).