Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:27:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        karl@Mcs.Net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting maximum RAM consumption by a process

> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I know how to do this for BSDI (maximum segment size) but not for FreeBSD,
> > and the same parameters don't appear to work.
> >
> > Basically, our news server is now reaching a WSS of 100MB+, and we need to
> > increase it (because we're getting malloc failures and death of the process
> > :-)
> >
> > The system has lots of RAM, so that's not a problem.
> >
> > Anyone got the magic words for the config file?
> >
> You can set it dynamically with ulimit (up it to 128M.)  Any further,
> you can set the config variables DFLDSIZ and MAXDSIZ to practically
> anything you want.  So, for 192MB
>
> options "MAXDSIZ=201326592"
> options "DFLDSIZ=201326592"
>
> John

Thanks.... we already had the "prestart" thing doing the set to 128MB, but
now I need to get beyond that :-)

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 32 Analog Prefixes, 13 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal