Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:21:49 -0500
From:      "Matt Crawford" <crawdad@fnal.gov>
To:        "Pleschutznig, Andreas" <Andreas.Pleschutznig@Schwab.COM>
Cc:        "'Leif Neland'" <leifn@neland.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dropping connections without RST

> > This reminds me of a proposal for sendmail; instead of rejecting
> > mail from known spammers, one would accept the connection, but
> > slow traffic down to the slowest possible, so the spammer could
> > only deliver very few messages.  Instead of killing the spammer,
> > make every mailserver like quicksand, drawing him down and
> > drowning him :-]
>
> And afterwards we still could remove the mail. I second this motion ;-)What
> happened to this proposal?

My own thought for this a year or so ago was to accept SMTP
connections with an absurdly small windows size.  Open up the window
(by increasing the buffer size -- if that setsockopt() is accepted at
that point, otherwise hack the socket layer so it is accepted) and
process normally if the HELO and MAIL From/RCPT To look all right;
otherwise continue to read small gulps of the DATA at slow intervals,
then answer the final "."  with a *temporary* failure code.

Mroo hah hah.
				Matt