Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:46:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Loren James Rittle <rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com
Subject:   4.4-STABLE (built 10/25) -> 4.5-STABLE (built and rebuilt during last week)

Does this problem ring a bell with anyone:

I have a stripped GENERIC kernel that worked great on a 4.4-STABLE
machine (up without reboot since last upgraded); ASUS P2B, P2, 384MB.
Only tuning was setting maxusers to 128. Only addition was pcm device.

I upgarded to 4.5-STABLE this week.  I tracked the diff in GENERIC between
those dates.  In particular: added UFS_DIRHASH; set maxusers to 0 and
removed the number from gif line.  Things seemed stable and I then upped
the memory to 512MB since a retired machine had the exact same
ECC DIMMS as I was already using.

I now see a hard crash (I have rebuilt with INVARIANTS and DIAGNOSTIC
and now DDB without any report or panic nor can I enter DDB once hard
crash hits).  I see this hard crash with X running (no further screen
changes or input possible), without X multiuser (no longer change
vttys, screen changes or input), in single-user mode.  Rebuilding
world to local disk is enough to see the problem.

I have also changed the new ECC DIMM I added with another from the
same retired machine (in both cases, transfered right from motherboard
to motherboard with proper anti-static protection).

After that and rereading the last ~1200 messages on stable, I upped
maxusers to 512.  Same problem seen.  Based upon advice given to
others on list, I was able to get output of vmstat -m generated within
5 seconds of crash.  The free pool contained over 2MB at that point.

Any advice?  I am about to remove the memory and/or downgrade back to
4.4 since this is my desktop machine.  Did I miss a step before I go
that route?

Thanks,
Loren