Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:58:23 +0200
From:      "Dimitar V. Peikov" <mitko@rila.bg>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   STABLE ATAPI CD-ROM

Yesterday, I've CVSuped -STABLE and UPGRADE using information in
/usr/src/UPDATING from 4.1.1-STABLE.

        make buildworld
        make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        make installkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        reboot  (in single user) [1]
        make installworld
        mergemaster
        reboot

 The problem is that my CD-ROM device suddenly disappeared. It worked before I
made this upgrade. I use DELL OptiPlex GX300 with

atapci0: <Intel ICH ATA66 controller> port 0xffa0-0xffaf at device 31.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ad0: 9765MB <Maxtor 51024U2> [19841/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66

In my kernel config file for ATA devices I have :
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device         atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
#device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
#options        ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
#options        ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA    #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

It's strange that ata1 is not recognized during boot procedure. I've tried to
remove both lines from config file that described ata0 and ata1 but the result
was the same. Any ideas?

--
Dimitar Peikov
Programmer Analyst