Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 01:09:11 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@micro.ti.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does anyone know how to let fd0.1720 be bootable?

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

I had issues with this when I was doing some bootsector ASM coding. Basical=
ly,
you have to set up the disk header (first 32 bytes of sector 1?) to tell the
bios how many sectors your disk has. Many BIOSes will still only do 18 sect=
ors
anyway, though. I can't remember the exact layout of the disk header, but i=
t is
usually started with a JMP NEAR instruction past the info header (3 bytes),
followed by a short OS signature (8 bytes?) and then the disk info that is
typically passed in INT 13 calls.

Luigi Rizzo had the audacity to say:
>=20
> > >=20
> > > the 1480 format works.
> >=20
> > Have you got this working now - or was it the larger size that didn't
> > work?
>=20
> 1480 always worked for me on the system i tried -- except on vmware.
> i it was the 1720k format where i had problems which i could not
> solve despite a number of different attempts at telling the
> bios that i was using 21 sectors/track.
>=20
> 	cheers
> 	luigi