Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 23:53:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dnsadmin@aeonflux.ent
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   i386/11681: Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI Controller BIOS 1.34.3 wont work under 3.1R

>Number:         11681
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI Controller BIOS 1.34.3 wont work under 3.1R
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
We run a variety of PC's with the AHA 2940UW controller. ALL systems
work perfectly as long as we don't use a BIOS revision higher than
1.26.  Bios revisions above that including the current 1.34.3 latest
AHA 2940UW shipping bios keep generating SCSI BUS Resets. And the
system never loads even if you are NOT booting from the SCSI device.
The O/S cycles thru ah0 0:0:0:0 thru 0:0:15:0 and then starts over.
It doesn't even matter whether a drive is connected or not.  This is
a major problem for us (we're an small ISP) as we can no longer obtain
cards with the 1.26 or earlier bios and Adaptec as specifically said
that the 1.34.3 should be used because of all the fixes in it.
>How-To-Repeat:
simply put ANY Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI controller in a PC
with a bios revision higher than 1.26 and the problem automatically
repeats.
>Fix:
none.  we need one desperately as this is holding up our entire
upgrade program.