Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:53:22 -0400
From:      Mark Filipak <filipak@mrincubator.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net, Matt Snow <drama@slakin.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please confirm your request to join Gel_Candle_News

Ooops, update:

are: five messages from believers_hope. I guess that answers my question
about spoofing the confirmation -- this person must have done it.

Why don't more people do this and bring back the dreaded list bomb
...erm... I guess this person did, eh?

Never mind. -- Mark

Kent Stewart wrote:

> Mark Filipak wrote:
>
> > Kent Stewart wrote:

> >>It still amounts to identity fraud and their original requests
> >>probably have their IP address, which will allow their ISP to
> >>permenantly remove their access.
> >>

> > These are coming from YahooGroups. Anyone can browse to the list
> > signup and enter anything they want, including
> > president@whitehouse.gov.
> >
> > Identity fraud not required. Traceablity = zero.
>
> That part may be true; however, when the send the required response
> back, they should be traceable.

They don't send the required response, Kent. Only an email from
freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG can confirm the request to join. This
person could spoof that, but maybe doesn't know how.

(...I must confess that given the ability to spoof headers in a phoney
confirmation I don't understand how confirmations prevent listbombs...)

This will end soon as this vengeful person has to cause each of these
confirmations manually -- I don't think requests to YahooGroups can be
automated in any browser.

Ciao -- Mark