Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 06:41:20 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>, Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>, Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Subject:   Re: A GUI greyscale interface by default

> version] I am not personally keen on the dialog interface---I prefer the

I don't know of any who are...  But when it's all you have. :)

> The source for /stand/sysinstall says that the next version will be a
> complete rewrite.  What is/will the interface be like for the new version?

We have no idea. :-)

One of the major reasons why the next version is about 2 years late
now is the fact that no reasonable UI libraries for doing everything
we need to do in a reasonably non-complex way currently exist.  On the
complex side there's TurboVision, very sexy and featureful but also
requiring one to write in C++ and understand its somewhat arcane class
library, and on the simple side we have plain ncurses(3) which is easy
to use but also an unhelpful pain in the butt for implementing all the
various text object and menu frobs you'd need for sysinstall II.

Everyone's truly keen to see this all happen, I think they really are,
we just need a better set of base tools to work with.  If this were a
commercial software project, I'd also just go shopping at this point
and see what nifty tools I could buy.  Since we're not, I can't. :-(

			  Jordan