Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 22:29:42 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Iani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>
Cc:        database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mysql 321 - Mysql 322 - msql

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Iani Brankov wrote:

> From: James A. Mutter <jmutter@netwalk.com>
> >
> >I've found myself in a situation where I need a database.  It doesn't need
> >to be 'feature packed', but it does need to be fast - I'm  looking for
> >recommendations.
> >
> >This database will eventually be used to archive messages from several
> >mailing lists and will be accessed from a W3 frontend.  Suggestions?
> >
> >Additionally, if anyone has any suggestions/ideas on the best way to
> >implement this I'm more than willing to listen.
> >
> >Thanks much!
> >
> >-
> >- Failure isn't getting knocked down - Failure is not getting back up.
> >-
>  PostgreSQL 6.3.2
> may be the best free one.
>
> --ian

It's possibly stronger on features, but it's slower than mysql.  It is
speed he's emphasizing.

there was some discussion earlier this year on this list about adding
indexes suitable for fulltext searching  to PostgreSQL.  Did anything
happen in the end? It's the one feature I'd really like to have.  I
suspect  it would be an important one to James also.

Andrew McNaughton