Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 02:56:15 +0100
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI CD recorder no longer attached; minor issues

Dear FreeBSD'ers,

I am running -CURRENT as of today (sources as of ~ 18:15 GMT). I can
see the following (a # sign precedes my comments):

Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad2s1a

# YAMAHA CRW4416S: it is correctly recognized by -STABLE.
# OTOH, the archives seem to report just *minor* SCSI issues.
(cd0:ahc0:0:3:0): READ CD RECORDED CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
(cd0:ahc0:0:3:0): error code 0
(cd0:ahc0:0:3:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
(cd0:ahc0:0:3:0): lost device
(cd0:ahc0:0:3:0): removing device entry

# My cd player works
cd1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
cd1: <PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS 1.00> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd1: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

# It is unusual on this system
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 20 -> 12
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 2072 -> 2048
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 2184 -> 2048
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 20 -> 0
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 2068 -> 2048
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 2240 -> 2048
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 20 -> 0
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 20 -> 0
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 20 -> 0
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 20 -> 0
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 20 -> 0
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 2204 -> 2048
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 20 -> 0
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 2068 -> 2048
pcm0: hwptr went backwards 2068 -> 204

I forgot to reboot via 'shutdown -r now' *sigh*
On a couple of subsequent occasions, however, shutdown -r now was timed
out, and no entropy file was created; 'dd if=/dev/random of=/entropy
bs=4096 count=1' (within the shutdown sequence) did NOT create
anything.

In s.u.m., I issued it as an ordinary explicit command, but it stalled.
So... workaround:  'dd if=/dev/urandom of=/entropy  bs=4096 count=1'.
Then /dev/random, asked again to do its duty, helped dd (to) create  an
entropy file.

I was wondering whether such a sanity check would be worth adding (in
rc.shutdown ?)  in order to prevent the above entropy (minor) issue.
Does this make sense at all? Is this just a little temporary problem ?

Thanks for your patience and best regards,.
Salvo