Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:54:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Tiemann <btman@ugcs.caltech.edu>
To:        michael dorin <mike@chaski.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apache with perl mods

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, michael dorin wrote:

> Anybody using the version of apache with the perl modules built in?
> How does it work?  Is it fairly fast?  Any security issues?
> Is it stable?

	I'm running it on www.lionking.org ... it's very fast, very
stable, and has support via mailing-list just like this place. :)

	If you have a lot of little perl things that run repeatedly, it's
a godsend. It's a little bit annoying to build-- you extract apache
in its own location, then compile apache from within the mod_perl
extraction directory. This means you can't really build apache from the
ports collection.

	Security isn't really an issue, any more than it is with standard
CGI. How secure you make your scripts is an implementation problem, not a
design problem. :)

	Downsides: As each apache process accumulates mod_perl registry
scripts, it grows. I've got each process sucking up about 2MB of RAM on my
machine, which isn't trivial on a 50-httpd-process server. This should all
become much nicer in the 2.0 series of apache, which will work towards a
threaded model like they're using for the Win32 port.

	mod_perl can be a bear to work with, but I'm very happy with the
results.

Brian