Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Buzz Slye <buzz@gaia.arc.nasa.gov>
To:        simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Cc:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Digital Cameras

    We've been using firewire digital cameras for some time now for
remote sensing and flying them on UAV's (with  a pc104 data system).
We are using a Basler color camera (model A101fc), a Basler single
band camera for hyperspectral imaging, and also an Omega thermal
camera.  These cameras conform to spec 1.20 (spec id 0xa02d).  Check
www.uav-applications.org (Aircraft and Payload) for some background
info.

    The digital camera library and the 1394 raw library were converted
from the available Linux libraries to FreeBSD.  We are still using the
firewire version of last April/May (2003).  When the July version came
along, it didn't work any more, so we've been stuck with the old ver-
sion.  I have been trying to upgrade to the latest version (March 28).

    Async read and write commands are used to read and set the camera
registers for exposure, gain, shutter, and frame size etc.  Camera
images are downloaded with iso stream transfer.  I don't need to
support iso xmit, but only to iso receive from the camera.  Normal
operation is to acquire single frames every few seconds for over-
lapping images of the ground.

    The latest current of fwdev.c (2004/05/23) works for me now for
async read and write.  Also, my fix with uiomove for fw_read, per my
mail of 6/24 appears to work OK.  A remaining problem is because I
only acquire single frames, but not continuously, I would like a way
to stop listening (or divert the output) while I go back to the camera
to tell it to stop xmitting.

Buzz Slye
NASA / Ames