Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 18:46:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Paul Leskar <pal@taurus.srccomp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS and Solaris 2.6

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Paul Leskar wrote:

> I am running my server with FreeBSD 2.2 and have a NIS client running Solaris
> 2.6.
>
> I have turned on "ypserv" and "ypbind" on FreeBSD but get errors whenever I try
> to send mail from the Solaris box to the FreeBSD box[cannot bind etc]. In
> addition I get other RPC errors etc too numerous to itemize,
>
> My question is exactly what options and daemons do I need to turn on in
> /etc/rc.conf to enable my FreeBSD server as a NIS server. I have tried various
> combinations with no success. Whenever I turn ypbind on, my PPP autodial quits
> working for no reason. I have scrounged thru all of the mailing lists and am
> unable to find much specific documentation regarding NIS....
>
> # Network Information Services (NIS) options: ###
> nis_client_enable="YES"         # We're an NIS client (or NO)
> nis_client_flags="-s -ypsetme"  # Flags to ypbind (if enabled).
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you need these flags set? Are there other NIS servers running?

> nis_ypset_enable="NO"           # Run ypset at boot time (or NO).
> nis_ypset_flags=""              # Flags to ypset (if enabled).
> nis_server_enable="YES"         # We're an NIS server (or NO)
> nis_server_flags="-n"           # Flags to ypserv (if enabled).
> nis_ypxfrd_enable="YES"         # Run rpc.ypxfrd at boot time (or NO).
> nis_ypxfrd_flags=""             # Flags to rpc.ypxfrd (if enabled).
You only need this if there are slave servers you wish the maps
pused to. You did not say if this was the case.

> nis_yppasswdd_enable="YES"      # Run rpc.yppasswdd at boot time (or NO).
> nis_yppasswdd_flags=""          # Flags to rpc.yppasswdd (if enabled).
                     ^^^^^
If you want this service on you probably need to set the location
of the master.passwd file if not the default copy in /var/yp.

> I have done all of the "/var/yp" stuff correctly, I believe. Thanks for any
> input. Also,do I have to run Kerberos to make all of this happen?

You did not mention the domain name. It is set to the same for both
server and client(s), yes.:-)

You are sure that the /etc/hosts, password files, and /etc/group (at a
minimum) are properly set up on your server, and that they are edited
correctly on the client hosts with the "+" tags. Some of those
files are appended to and some are over looked in favor of the map.

Your /etc/hosts map from the server will replace the client host
file, for example.

Check the man pages for yp, ypwhich, ypcat and rpcinfo. These will
help you get some diagnostic info. You may also wish to refer to
Hal Stern "Managing NFS and NIS" pub by O'Reilly.

Apologies if this is elemental, but NIS seems to be _very_ fussy about
proper configuration. When right it works.

John