Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:56:02 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.x kernel config changes?

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 02:40:53PM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>=20
> 3) There seems to be no more LINT or other listing of all the options.
>    Why?  In particular I needed "options NETATALK" but couldn't remember
>    the name and there was no file to quickly grep.  Has the list of=20
>    options been moved somewhere else?

sys/conf/NOTES + sys/<machine>/conf/NOTES

> 4) Due to the way the makefiles now work it seems impossible to build a
>    new kernel after changing just "options" statements and install it
>    without also rebuilding all the modules...which takes quite some
>    time.  This seems to be because it moves the whole directory out of
>    the way in /boot.  This seems a little suboptimal to me.

You can still use the old way of building kernels when you aren't
updating the world.  You can also use the reinstall target in
conjunction with -DNO_MODULES to just reinstall the kernel.

If you just want to change some options and you still want to use the
new way, the unsupported workaround is:

make -DNOCLEAN buildkernel

It still configured the kernel and does a "make depend", but it won't
delete the object files which speeds things up a lot.  It does fail from
time to time though so be sure to try without -DNOCLEAN before reporting
breakage.

-- Brooks

--=20

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi