Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 22:39:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5 /etc/daily permissions

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Annelise Anderson wrote:
>
> > I've been merging (alphabetically, which may not be such a great
> > idea) the 2.1.5 /usr/src/etc files with my old /etc, and
> > noticed that in /usr/src/etc the daily, weekly and monthly
> > files have 644 permissions....whereas the old ones are 755.
> >
> > I don't think they'll run with 644, will they?  I would
> > think 744 would be appropriate.
>
> If you take a look at /etc/crontab (which are where daily, weekly, and
> monthly are run from):
>
> # do daily/weekly/monthly maintenance
> 0       2       *       *       *       root    /etc/daily 2>&1 | sendmail root
> 30      3       *       *       6       root    /etc/weekly 2>&1 |sendmail root
> 30      5       1       *       *       root    /etc/monthly 2>&1 | sendmail root
> #
>
> They all run as root (which makes sense).

I knew that; it just wasn't clear what the consequences would be.

> > In general, are the permissions in /usr/src/etc designed to
> > be right, or designed to need configuration?
>
> /usr/src/etc is touched.  I'd refer back to your old /etc (which you
> probably didn't back up, which you should have since your services file is
> now toasted).

But I did; I have two backups.  /etc was not, however, changed in the
slightest by the sup/make world/kernel recompile process, so I can
apparently merge from /usr/src/etc at will.

> 644 makes more sense, or even 600 (does anyone really _need_ to see the
> maintenance scripts?).

Certainly not I; I've edited them rather often to add various things.
That wasn't the question.