Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:04:35 +0200
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@dead-end.net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RealTek 8139 problems

Bruce Evans schrieb:

> >Under normal Circumstances, the communication is Ok between all three
> >machines, but sometimes the ethernet interface in the main machine
> >(the 8139) wedges up. I cannot ping any other host. The only solution
> >is taking the interface down and up again:
>
> It hangs when it gets an rx fifo overrun.  The chance of an overrun can
> be modified by tweaking the fifo threshold and rx maxdma as in if_rlreg.h
> rev.1.9.
Thanks, this seems to fix my problem.

I set
#define RL_RX_MAXDMA RL_RXDMA_UNLIMITED
#define RL_TX_MAXDMA RL_TXDMA_2048BYTES

and now at least my simple "ping torture tests" doesn't impress the
driver
any more.

Do such high values have any negative impact on the
performance/stability/
memory usage of the system? If not, couldn't these values be the
default?

Or the other way: Since recovery seems to be very easy, how difficult is
it for the driver to detect this condition and do an auto-recovery?

Yes, I know the RealTek are very ugly chips. Normally this card is
installed
into my Windows PC, but I had to swap the card with an I-EEPro in order
dualboot Solaris on this PC.

Daniel