Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 21:20:50 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        dgy@rtd.com (Don Yuniskis)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: INDEX.fonts

> It's a bogus little database for vidfont(1).  My apologies for the
> descriptions of the iso-* cp866 and koi8-* fonts... I asked but noone
> seemed to be able to give me a definitive description of them  :-(

You can find detailed description of koi8-r encoding at:
http://www.nagual.ru/~ache/koi8.html

> cp437-8x14.fnt::FreeBSD 2.1R English code page, 43 line

FreeBSD prefix must be ommited, they are adapter binary font so they not
related to FreeBSD only (you can use them in DOS too).
"Code page" is IBM name for character sets, I don't think
that we need to use IBM names.
"English" word (or any word related to language) must be used
very correctly, in this way you need to mention all languages
related to character set, i.e. all Russian character sets
really are "English & Russian".
Line count not related to adapter font, you can have several
50-lines modes with different fonts in general.
Better way refer to them as VGA/EGA/CGA fonts.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.ru>