Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 19:17:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resolver broken? [Was:nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem]

> > I've once noticed that this did indeed help, yes.  But in my case it
> > was sendmail that complained it didn't find the onw host.  I forgot
> > the details, but i think the /etc/hosts part of the resolver library
> > is broken with this.  Ah, yes, i remember: sendmail apparently tries
> > to lookup "${hostname}.", i.e. it calls gethostname(2), and appends a
> > dot to force DNS to not use the search order.  The /etc/hosts part of
> > the resolver library cannot handle this unless the host is listed with
> > the trailing dot in /etc/hosts.  I think this is a bug, and this part
> > of the resolver library should just remove a trailing dot, to be
> > (bug-)compatible to the DNS part.
>
> Been there, done that.  I'd categorize this as a sendmail bug,
> however.  There's nothing in the /etc/hosts world which suggests that
> a . at the end of a name is legal.

I agree that it's the resolver library that's broken, not sendmail.
The sendmail program is attempting a perfectly legal thing: it does not
want the local domain added to the fully qualified host name.  It is
up to the resolver library to provide the transparency this requires.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.