Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:05:51 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>, Questions FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: printing to solaris 2.6

Stefan Molnar writes:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Paul T. Root wrote:
>
> > Has anyone seen printing problems from a BSD (FreeBSD and SunOS 4.1.3)
> > to a Solaris 2.6 machine running as a print server? in.lpd core
> > dumps on the solaris box, whether sending a text or postscript
> > file.
>
> It will not work.  The lp print services will not work in 2.6.  When
> 2.6 was made lp  was out and sunsoft print client/server.  Also 2.6
> does not come with drivers for printers.  You will need to get the
> printing package from sunsoft. so your box can be a print server.

In similar situations I always find consulting the FreeBSD ports
collection to be handy. In /usr/ports/sysutils is a port of LPRng. You
might try "make fetch" then taking the downloaded source over to the
Solaris 2.6 system, build and install it there (assuming you have a C
compiler on the Solaris system).

Might be able to find pre-built Solaris 2.6 binaries of LPRng somewhere
on the net.