Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:53:10 -0700
From:      David Johnson <david@usermode.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Network throughput

On Saturday 28 July 2001 10:18 pm, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Anyway, what I hope that you draw from all this is that DSL is not a
> rock-solid circuit delivery mechanism and that the last 30 feet of wire
> inside the house can kill the circuit as surely as a bridge tap or load
> coil in the Telco  section of the circuit.

Thanks for the laughs!

From my location and proximity to the telco, I should be getting double the
DSL speeds I currently receive. But I never complain. I may be dense on a lot
of topics, but when my phone lines are thirty years old, run 200 feet from
the MPOE to my apartment wall, and then twenty feet from an ancient 4-prong
jack to a modern jack, and then another ten feet to my computer, I figure I'm
getting awesome speeds!

If I wasn't so lazy and knew what I was doing, I'd replace that old 4-prong
and eliminate ten feet of line.

--
David Johnson