Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:43:16 -0400
From:      jfarmer@goldsword.com
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: whats best pracfive for ZFS on a whole disc these days ?

Quoting Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Artem Belevich wrote:
>> > Unfortunately it appears ZFS doesn't search for GPT partitions so
>> > if you have them and swap the drives around you need to fix it up
>> > manually.
>>
>> When I used raw disk or GPT partitions, if disk order was changed the
>> pool would come up in 'DEGRADED' or UNAVAILABLE state. Even then all
>> that had to be done is export/import the pool. After the pool has
>> been re-imported it was back to ONLINE.
>
> Hmm OK, I thought it supposedly DTRT for raw disks but apparently not.
>
>> Now I'm using GPT labels (gpart -l) specifically because that avoids
>> issues with disk order or driver change. The pool I've built from GPT
>> labels has survived several migrations between different
>> controllers/drivers adX (ata) -> daX (SATA disks on mpt) -> adaX
>> (ahci) and multiple drive permutations without any manual
>> intervention at all. All that was done on 8-RC1/amd64.
>> I have also successfully imported the pool on OpenSolaris and back
>> again on FreeBSD.
>
> Damn, if I'd realised I'd have done that :)
>
> Do you know if it's possible to change?

Check the archives for stable@ and fs@.  I believe that there was a =20
thread not that long ago detailing exactly how to do that.  IIRC, =20
while it took a bit of work, it wasn't difficult.

John

J. T. Farmer <jfarmer@goldsword.com>    <jfarmer@orfencer.org>
GoldSword Systems, Knoxville TN          Coach & Instructor
    Consulting,                     Knoxville Academy of the Blade
     Software Development,              Maryville Fencing Club
      Project Management