Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:08:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.rg.iupui.edu>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp
Subject:   now to shuJIT :-)

Konnichi-wa,

Thanks, Katsuyuki, for making shuJIT available! I am on FreeBSD
2.2.5-RELEASE and I have difficulties compiling the latest shuJIT
release.  What happens is:

/usr/bin/gcc -S -fno-omit-frame-pointer -pipe -fPIC  -I/usr/local/java/include -I/usr/local/java/include/genunix -I/usr/local/java/include/linux -I/usr/local/java/include/freebsd -I/usr/local/include -o tmp.s code.c
code.c: In function `assembledCode':
code.c:4910: fixed or forbidden register was spilled.
This may be due to a compiler bug or to impossible asm
statements or clauses.
gmake: *** [tmp.s] Error 1

and I have no time right now to nail down the problem any further (I
did 8086 assembler programming in real mode, but I have no idea about
this new 80x86 assembler syntax, BTW: is there any manual describing
the 80x86 assembler syntax used on FreeBSD's as?)

Anyway, I am using the shujit-0.2.10 a.out binary version instead, and
thus my report may be outdated.  ShuJIT (in that version) seems to
have problems allocating heap memory, which is why I get the following
Java VM error, presumably when the heap needs to be reallocated. ...
now I have trouble reproducing the problem, as if this is a bug that
shows up only in special timing-dependent circumstances. O.K. here
goes:

~SIGFPE    8*   arithmetic exception

Full thread dump:
    "Finalizer thread" (TID:0x860f208, sys_thread_t:0x9413efc, state:CW) prio=1
    "Async Garbage Collector" (TID:0x860f250, sys_thread_t:0x93f2efc, state:R) prio=1
    "Idle thread" (TID:0x860f298, sys_thread_t:0x93d1efc, state:R) prio=0
    "Clock" (TID:0x860f088, sys_thread_t:0x93b0efc, state:CW) prio=12
    "main" (TID:0x860f0b0, sys_thread_t:0xeec00, state:R) prio=5 *current thread*
        java.util.GregorianCalendar.timeToFields(Compiled Code)
        java.util.GregorianCalendar.computeFields(Compiled Code)
        java.util.Calendar.complete(Compiled Code)
        java.util.GregorianCalendar.add(Compiled Code)
        rmrs.rrdb.Row.getLIFODateTime(Compiled Code)
        rmrs.mrf.MedicalRecord.makeMRFItem(Compiled Code)
        rmrs.mrf.MedicalRecord.<init>(Compiled Code)
        rmrs.Inquiry.main(Compiled Code)
Monitor Cache Dump:
    <unknown key> (0x93f2efc): owner "Async Garbage Collector" (0x93f2efc, 1 entry)
Registered Monitor Dump:
    Thread queue lock: <unowned>
    Name and type hash table lock: <unowned>
    String intern lock: <unowned>
    JNI pinning lock: <unowned>
    JNI global reference lock: <unowned>
    BinClass lock: <unowned>
    Class loading lock: <unowned>
    Java stack lock: <unowned>
    Code rewrite lock: <unowned>
    Heap lock: <unowned>
    Has finalization queue lock: <unowned>
    Finalize me queue lock: <unowned>
        Waiting to be notified:
            "Finalizer thread" (0x9413efc)
    Monitor IO lock: <unowned>
    Child death monitor: <unowned>
    Event monitor: <unowned>
    I/O monitor: <unowned>
    Alarm monitor: <unowned>
        Waiting to be notified:
            "Clock" (0x93b0efc)
    _malloc: <unowned>
    Monitor registry: owner "main" (0xeec00, 1 entry)
Thread Alarm Q:
Abort trap (core dumped)

It seems as if increasing the heap size to 32Mb from the beginning
reduces occurance of this problem (I can't say "eliminate" since it
does not always occur with smaller heap sizes ... and indeed it does
occur too.)

you may have already fixed this bug, I would appreciate a binary for
the latest shuJIT (I am not lazy, but I have an application project
going that keeps me from doing too much infrastructure stuff.)

thanks & regards
-Gunther

Gunther Schadow ----------------------------------- http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu
Regenstrief Institute for Health Care
1001 W 10th Street RG5, Indianapolis IN 46202, Phone: (317) 630 7960
schadow@aurora.rg.iupui.edu ---------------------- #include <usual/disclaimer>