Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 00:21:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      dnelson@emsphone.com (Dan Nelson)
To:        harlan@pfcs.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bt946C card hangs reading 4mm tape written on Solaris machine

in the last episode, Harlan Stenn said:
> I wrote a tar file to a 4mm exabyte(?) DAT drive attached to a Solaris
> machine.  I verified the tape's content.
>
> I put the tape into a Connor (Archive Python) DDS-2 4mm drive, and tried
> to read it.  The BT946C controller hung.  Eventually, I got a SCSI abort
> message, which timed out to a controller abort command, which never
> finishes, either.  The only solution is to hit the reset button.

Something similar happens to me, too.  I've got the following hanging off an
Adaptec 1542c:

(aha0:3:0): "ARCHIVE Python 25947-XXX 2.49" type 1 removable SCSI 2

The drive is DDS only; no DDS-2.

I get timeout messages, and a bit later, the kernel panics.  If I reset the
drive and 'c'ontinue from the console debugger, I can sometimes recover.

I also have another Archive Python (both are Compaq OEM) with a slightly
higher model number which does read Sun tapes.  They are both old; at least
2 years, and have been used daily.  I think the Archive hangs when it reads
a compressed tape that it can't handle, since I can create tapes on the new
drive that hang the old one.

I'm not sure if my problem is the same as yours; just adding another
datapoint.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com