Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:53:04 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Terry Witherspoon" <t403403@hotmail.com>, <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SSL Certificates

Aside from the technical reason there's also a business reason.

SSL for the web was driven primariarly for 1 reason - to block
people from sniffing credit card numbers.  Oh, I know that there's all
sorts of noncommercial sites that SSL is useful for, but seriously,
most SSL sites aren't built for noncommercial reasons, they are built
to snarf credit cards.  I know that I'm going
to get jumped on by saying that but it's the truth.

Anyway, the architects of SSL felt that anyone taking credit cards
over the web was a _real_ business, and not attempting to nickel
and dime everything.  Thus, they should be able to afford
at least 1 real IP number for their server.  After all, if your
pulling in money from people then diverting a few dollars of the
transaction to the network provider certainly seems fair after
all.  After all your going to be paying VISA 2% and a real IP
number doesen't represent anywhere near that amount.

None of the people forsaw the proliferation of web hosting companies
that were willing to give away webserving for literally nothing at all.
Of course, when your a webhosting company doing that, you simply cannot
afford to have a real network
infrastructure with real subnets and all of that.  Thus, you use fake
websites with no assigned IP number.  If the architects of SSL had known
that sort of thing was going to be in demand for SSL they would have
done the protocol differently to accomodate it.  I know that I'm going
to get jumped on for saying that too. :-)  But, sorry I don't believe that
giving away network services for free to _commercial_ users does anything
to help the growth of the Internet.  Neither do the telcos that provide
circuits.  We're a harsh bunch of bastards I guess. :-)