Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2014 13:07:03 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Automount in LXDE or Xfce

I'm crying for help: What is the current _working_ approach
to event-based notification and possiblly automounting on
FreeBSD (here: v10.0 i386) and the desktop environments
Xfce 4 or LXDE? I've been trying to get this working, but
there seem to be several different, successive and also
contradicting "recipes" on how to do it.

Of course I already have vfs.usermount=1 set in /etc/sysctl.conf
and also HAL and DBUS running. All installed software (X,
Xfce, LXDE) have been installed via binary packages (pkg).

Can anyone maybe share a _working_ configuration example?

What I'm basically searching for: User insers CD, DVD or
USB stick or SD card in USB reader. Desktop makes some
noise and either shows a notification that allows to
"click-mount" the media, or the media is mounted and
an icon appears on the desktop.

The display manager is xdm, so temporarily messing with
device files is no problem with GiveConsole and TakeConsole,
but as I thought about HAL et al., this should not be
needed at all.

Note that I have _no_ idea of how to do this because
I do not use this personally, mainly due to security
considerations.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany