Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:40:40 +1100
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gvinum or vinum in 5.3-STABLE

Sorry to butt in on your thread, but it seems relevant. I am having
problems with gvinum under 5-STABLE and a RAID 0 array of two disks.
The array works perfectly until reboot. Then, when the machine comes
back up the plexes are marked as stale. Issuing these commands fixes
the problem until the next reboot:

gvinum setstate up storage.p0.s0
gvinum setstate up storage.p0.s1

Things I've tried:

* Googling for answers
* commenting out the fstab entry at boot and then manually mounting the
partition after boot
* inserting gvinum in /boot/loader.conf
* copying the vinum script in /etc/rc.d/vinum and making a gvinum
equivalent
* trying to shutdown gvinum at shutdown time (but "gvinum stop" doesn't
work)
* fsck
* rebuilding gvinum array

Is there some shutdown procedure that should gracefully shutdown the
RAID? There is a process which opens files on the RAID and runs
continuously until shutdown. Could it be holding the RAID open too long
and could this staleness?

 From what I can tell the staleness doesn't affect any data - everything
is OK once brought up.

Cheers
Ari Maniatis

On 14/02/2005, at 11:38 AM, Tristan wrote:

> Is gvinum
> ready for production use in a RAID5 config ?

ish group pty ltd
http://www.ish.com.au
7 Darghan St Glebe 2037 Australia
phone +61 2 9660 1400   fax +61 2 9660 7400
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8