Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:34:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPro vs PII

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Niall Smart wrote:

> On Jun 28,  8:38pm, Atipa wrote:
> } Subject: Re: PPro vs PII
> >
> > The P2 will smoke it. Better yet, go up to 350 or 400MHz, then you can
> > utilize 100MHz system bus.
>
> I was thinking of trying 300Mhz P2s at 100Mhz system bus using the hack
> described at www.sysdoc.pair.com.

Good plan, but don't let your vendor know. :)
I maintain an anti-overclocking position at all times, because I think the
headaches (for yourself and your vendors) exceed the performance gain. I
only overclock (temporarily) game machines and VGA cards in said machines.
No way would I even consider oc'ing a server...

> > Since the P2 has DIB (dual independent bus) for the L2 cache, higher clock
> > rates, and much faster DRAM access, you'll definitely notice the
> > difference. Pros are at the end of their lifecycle, and will be hard to
> > support.
>
> But the P2 has a much slower cache clock speed, what is a DIB?

Not really. On a clock for clock ratio, yes. But since the P2 clock rates
are so much higher, the cache difference becomes less noticable. A P2-350
caches at 175, compared to 200 for a Pro. The DIB on the P2 allows higher
hit rates and higher bandwidth between the L1, L2, and CPU.

> And  how is the DRAM access faster if both the P2 and PPro use a 66Mhz
> system bus?

The P2's can use a 440BX chipset, which supports 100MHz Sync DRAM (7ns),
while the best production Pro chipset is the 440NX (Natoma), which
supports only 66MHz EDO (async) DRAM at 60ns. EDO is 200MB/sec, while
100MHz SDRAM is over 500MB/sec.

Kevin