Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 22:45:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   installation program for 0412-SNAP

well... I just thought you guys would like to know what I thought of the
install program...  just a little background... I installed 1.1.5.1 about
6 months before 2.0 was released...  I didn't imediately upgrade because
I didn't want to risk my hard drive... once my hard drive crashed (lost
disklable and didn't know better) I decided to install 2.0...  it was
ok... but I didn't particually like the installtion...

now for the heart of the matter...  there should be a intermediate
installation that doesn't limit you...  I was going to mount my /, /usr,
/games, and /programming .  only the last two I could preserve... this is
number one... there should be a way to preserve the contents of a
drive... maybe mounting the drive then clearing the directories like
/etc, /var, and others...  that way you can actually preserve some of the
data on them...  then I go to add /usr... well... I can't preserve that
and that is my main partion... right now it is 550 megs... it has the
home directories, my file archives (including FreeBSD), X and other
stuff...  now the installation wants to newfs that...  so I think...
ok... why don't I just not mount it... and afterward mount it...

so I go to proceed with my swap, /, /programming, and /games assigned...
well... my / is only 47megs and it won't let me past to install without
assigning /usr... what's up???  can't I make my own descisions...  sure
you can have the warning but don't force it on you...  sure I probably
couldn't install the bindist on just the /... but I could skip the
installation of the bindist... reboot off the hard drive... manually
mount /usr... and then install the bindist after possibly cleaning
/usr/bin, etc...

I personally liked the old installation much better... the only
installation took less time... was a little more experience friendly...
it also forced along some routes but didn't on some of the more important
ones...  what I would like to see is the ability to do an intermediate
installation... one that the user isn't a FreeBSD hacker and happens to
sup current... or an idiot that doesn't know a hard disk from a floppy
disk... one that does know the system ok...  knows how to mount the
disks... disklabel them manually... modify the fstab...  among other
capbilities...

right now the installation is almost TOO idiot proof...  people like me
whoo kinda know the system but don't know how to go about manually
installing the whole new system are basicly dead in the water... we can't
upgrade because the install wants to newfs all our valuable data... and
we can't just get the basic /bin, /sbin, kernel, and bootblocks installed
so we can install the bindist by hand...  I hope you understand what I
said... and hope that the changes can be made by the 2.1 RELEASE...  TTYL...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)