Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 1998 14:36:44 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        hahalee@163.net
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-REL/Compaq PL3000/NICs Help

> I'm trying to install 3.0-REL on a Compaq PL3000 server:
> PII-300x2/256M. The symbios SCSI controllers worked just
> flawlessly.Now my trouble is:
>
> NICs don't work!
>
> The original nic is a TI ThunderLan: Compaq Netelligent 10/100
> PCI UTP. but 3.0-REL cannot identify it. I soon find out that
> It's compaq's fault: Wrong/old dated PCI-ids. (They sold us a
> server this year with a 1996 NIC!). I gave up this card.
>
> Now I'm trying an Accton 1207(Digital 21143), It works on my
> UP machine under ervery version of FreeBSD. But this time
> something strange occured: the install diskette cannot identify
> it too! though it's an UP kernel!
>
> So what's the right NIC should I use on this compaq beast?
> And is there some SMP related issues on NICs?
> Or it's just because of compaq's weird SMP?

It may be Compaq. I had basically the same trouble trying to install
3.0 on a Proliant 3000. No NICs were seen. I ended up installing 2.2.7,
using an Intel Pro 100/B card, and *then* configuring a kernel with the
tl (Thunderlan) driver. The machine is rock stable with 2.2.7, but is
using only one processor. Performance is still very good!

Below is a suggestion on what you can do with the Proliant to make it
run FreeBSD smoothly. I haven't tried this myself yet - will probably
get a chance to do this next week.