Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 18:12:28 +0300
From:      "Jukka Similä" <lmkjuksi@info1.info.tampere.fi>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rewrited 2.2.6 problem

hiagain

Gosh when I read my own message my eyes were about to run fast and far
away.. i couldn't understand it myself before i read it third time. But
it was because of 8 hours of physical work. God it's hard. Thank God I'm
gonna be a scumback that just nibbles with his computer all day long.
And all night even longer. Anyway If some of you wants a nicer version
of the same problem(I don't care if u didn't want), here it comes:

I tried to upgrade my 2.2.5-REL to 2.2.6-REL with a 'brand new' 2.2.6
four cd pack. everything went fine until the installation program
started to install /bin files. Installation program just told me
something like this: "Error 5:(Input/Output)" - I can't just now
remember the exact phrase. Then I tried to install everything from
bottom to top, with same error message. Then I tried to install with
2.2.5's bootdisk and 2.2.6's cd's. - the previous installation was gone
anyway, and I GOT "PROPER BACKUPS"!  - thank god. (Okay, I didn't
remember to backup /etc but I can live with that... and I have to live
with that.. besides it's important to re-study :). Well, with 2.2.5's
bootdisk it almost installed the whole thing - except when it started to
extract files to their right places it said: Error 11 - If you can
regenerate this problem please do it blaa blaa blaa... It maybe was an
interesting problem to someone programming freebsd, but i thought that
because i created the problem myself maybe it wasn't so important, and I
really had enough problems without regenerating this one.

Then I called my friend that gave me this 2.2.6 packet and he supposed
it could be a broken cdrom disk, but he wasn't so sure because it was an
unopened packet. Personally I think it can be anything but my best guess
is somekind of problem with Matsushita 5.63 cdrom device.

What do you think, was this letter easier to read (and understand) than
the previous?

Oh, and about my modemproblems, well, that's an other story, maybe I'll
write it someday.

Jukka Similä <lmkjuksi@info1.info.tampere.fi>