Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:10:32 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tarakanov <val@hcol.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partition spanning multiple hdd's

On Thu, 20 March 1997 at 21:05:15 -0600, Tarakanov wrote:
>  I had my mail partition overfill (well, almost -- 99%) and I am thinking
>  about adding another drive (or drives) in to put in the same partition.
>  (/mail).
>  So the question is:
>  do I have to enter the /stand/sysinstall to do this or do I have to use
>  the commands of the  freebsd manually.

You have the choice.

>  If I do it, will the current information on the /mail partition be
>  retained or do I need to back it up?

Do you really have a /mail file system?  That's unusual.  Anyway, if
you add a new file system, it doesn't (shouldn't :-) affect the ones
you have already.

>  I guess it's not really a partition, but a volume that I am talking
>  about (at least novell would call it a volume) but this is my first
>  unix box so far.

In UNIX, it's best to call them file systems.  We also use the term
partition, but differently from Microsoft, so it's confusing.

To summarize: you can use either sysinstall or the old-style utilities
to add a new file system.  sysinstall is much easier, but both methods
offer you ample opportunities for shooting yourself in the foot.  Make
a backup first, and tread carefully.

Greg