Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:50:15 +0100
From:      "Klaus A. Brunner" <k.brunner@acm.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
Subject:   Re: natd & failed to write packet back

(referring to <E14IQZ0-0005bR-00@post.mail.nl.demon.net> on -questions)
> > On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:00:20PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> > > A proxy/firewall/nat box I recently set up is constantly spewing
> > > out an error from natd:
> > > failed to write packet back [host is down]
> In a similar vain, what does the above message indicate but
> accompanied by a "permission denied" as the reason ?

   This has already been discussed numerous times (search the list
archives). I've been struggling with this problem, too. In my case the
culprit turned out to be a misconfigured Samba, broadcasting onto a
subnet explicitly blocked by ipfw (actually, that subnet didn't even
exist). To find out, I patched /usr/src/sbin/natd.c and made the error
message a little more verbose.

   See: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=24683

Klaus