Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 1996 16:15:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>, kajtzu@iug.org, erik@il.ft.hse.nl, questions@freebsd.org, Jos.Vissers@telebyte.NL, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User name length limit increase

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Branson Matheson wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
> > my.very.long.and.annoying.log.in.name.which.formats.poorly.in.w@freebsd.org
> >
> > % w
> >  2:44PM  up 62 days,  8:32, 1 user, load averages: 0.25, 0.14, 0.09
> > USER    TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
> > my.very.long.and.annoying.log.in.name.which.formats.poorly.in.w   p1 freefall          08Aug96  3:32 w
> > %
> >
> > Aside from the traditional "size" argument, I don't see anything that would
> > prevent a site from doing this.  ON THE OTHER HAND, I see no particularly
> > good reason to implement it as default .. particularly with 64 characters.
>
>  Agreed :-) 64 characters is a bit excessive.. but 32 would not be..
>  for the same reason as that mail alias....

How about having the traditional 8 char limit on usernames but modify
adduser to automatically prompt for an email alias when adding new users.
Have the email alias automatically added to a userdb and have sendmail
already configured to do lookups in this userdb.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com