Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 21:47:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Hurd

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in here.  I'm not really a FreeBSD
developer, but I've been following the project for quite
a long time.

Rafter Man <rafter@linuxmail.org> wrote:
 > [Whether FreeBSD does or will take ideas and features
 > from Hurd]

I think the FreeBSD developers are well aware of useful
things in many other operating systems.  In today's world,
you cannot successfully write a general-purpose operating
system without looking at the other players.  This includes
the guys from the UNIX camp (Solaris, Linux), but also
others, even Windows.  (If everything else fails, Windows
can at least be used as an example of how to _not_ do
things.)  If Hurd has something useful to share, then why
not?

Wether a certain feature will be adopted depends on a lot
of things, though.  First of all, there has to be someone
willing to learn and spend time writing code.  This is
probably the biggest problem for a free open-source
project:  manpower.  And I don't mean people who want to
"code something up for fun", but people who are willing
to work hard and do things that are not necessarily fun,
such as reading dusty papers, learn how to use existing
interfaces, reading and adhering to style guides that don't
match your own style, writing documentation (manpages) etc.

Just out of curiosity:  Which particular features of Hurd
would you like to see incorporated in FreeBSD?  If you can
name them, they could be discussed, and maybe someone
even picks them up and actually does something.  Another
possibility is to file a PR (feature request), but you
should only do that if you're really sure that FreeBSD
does not already have the feature in question or something
equivalent.

 > Fx now users can have more id's and deamons run as "null".

I'm sorry I don't quite understand.

If you mean that the number of processes that a user is
allowed to run can be limited:  You can already do that
in FreeBSD.  You might want to read the login.conf(5)
manpage, and particularly the "resource limits" section.

Regards
   Oliver