Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:06:47 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   samba PDC / kernel tuning

Can anyone running samba (PDC) with more than a token number
of users help me?

Something is limiting network connections/open files/ number of
processes/size of processes/something else I didn't think of.
The result is that any more than a dozen or so logins at the
same time causes the connections to fail. Clients hang at the
login batch script, or when reading shares. I assume I'm
hitting one of the kernel limits, but which one?

I have 512Mb RAM, maxusers 256. I've tried adding 10000 to both
kern.maxfiles and kern.maxfilesperproc just in case, even
though I seem to be short of the limits (8232). kern.ipc.nmbufs
is 18432. I also tried MAXDSIZ and DFLDSIZ set to 512*1024*1024,
no joy. I revoked this as it didn't fix and ran slower.

I've been looking for tools to help and the best I could come
up with is

fstat | wc -l
netstat -m

lsof doesn't seem any better than fstat in this case. Nothing
in the logs either (log level 10). (I was getting file table
full, but that was with 32 users). I did have every smbd process
core, but that was when I stopped samba (oops) - so I don't think
that indicates any problem with the program.

There is something like 380Mb free so it looks to me like
samba cannot 'grow' to accommodate all the connections

Please, please, please somebody help me. If I cannot fix this soon
(tomorrow!) I'll be forced to install NT <shudder>.

IIRC 4.4-RC from Thursday, samba 2.2.1a_1

--
ian j hart