Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:39:36 -0400
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump on mounted fs

> Dump on a live FS is always risky.  FreeBSD in 4.x and earlier will have
> up to about a 30 second delay before a write() makes it to physical disk.

Ok, assume all the writes have finished, we wait 1-2 minutes before
starting dump, no new writes happen during the dump, then are we
assured that the dump reflects all of the previous writes?  I
understand there is no perfect solution to backing up a running
system.  I'm just checking that this isn't way off base.

In Linux, the problem is far more serious.  No amount of waiting or
syncs can force certain writes to be visible to dump.  Doesn't happen
until umount.  I was panicked by this and mainly wanted to check that
Freebsd doesn't behave this way.

> However, 5.x have snapshots where you can take a virtual snapshot of the
> file system device as it existed at the instant that you create it. You can
> then take a coherent dump that *will* be accurate.  fsck uses snapshots in
> 5.x to do background fsck to reclaim lost resources.

I guess that's the right long-term solution for backing up a running
system.  I'm in eager anticipation.

--Mark