Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 15:13:09 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        MasterA678@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about FreeBSD

On 1 Sep 2002, at 15:43, MasterA678@aol.com wrote:

> Hello,
>        Your websites says that FreeBSD is Free, I see FreeBSD for sale on
> CDROM, is there a way that I can get a free copy of FreeBSD on CD-Rom?

You can download an ISO image of the distribution and burn it to a CD-
ROM yourself. I believe ISO images are available on ftp.freebsd.org
or one of its mirrors.

The latest ISO image is available from this location:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.6.2/

The ISO image of disc 1 is 627 MB and disc 2 is 223 MB. I believe
that you only need disc 1. I only needed disc one for FreeBSD 4.5-
RELEASE. Going to 4.6.2 I just upgraded instead of downloading.

If your connection speed or type (aol might be problematic for
downloading such a large file) prevents you from reasonably
downloading such a large file or you don't have a CD burner, you'll
have to get a friend to help out or bite the bullet and buy a CDROM
distribution. Those folks make money not on the OS itself, but on
packaging, distribution and support (and documenation, of course).

Good luck!

Corey Snow