Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:00:47 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound familiar? 5.0-RC hangs on dual athlon

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:47:24PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> I dropped back to a generic single CPU kernel.
>
> ( Which cancelled main reason I moved to 5.0-DP2:
>     to get ATA bus working with dual, see my Nov. 22
>    Subject: 5.0-DP2: SMP+ATA OK.  But 4.7 & stable boot panic with ASUS P2L97-DS   To:     freebsd-current@
> )
>
> I'm down loading 5.0-RC1-i386-disc1.iso

Well, I tried again, this time:

   =  I built with DDB, INVARIANTS, INVARIANT_SUPPORT, WITNESS, and
      WITNESS_SKIPSPIN  --- none of these were enabled previously.

   =  I did not try to use ccd nor vinum --- I tried one and then the
      other previously.

   =  I did not use UFS2 --- I formatted all large filesytems with UFS2
      previously.

So far things are peachy ... I've gotten along much futher than
previously (restored all files from backup while building GNOME 2).
Later (much later) I'll try to narrow the problem down further.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar@celabo.org>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos