Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:23:31 +0200
From:      Volker Jahns <volker@thalreit.de>
To:        Steve Ames <steve@energistic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP support now in HEAD

Steve Ames wrote:
> Better and better.
>
> Does anyone have an Idiots Guide to creating a FreeBSD xen
> image and getting it working? I'm failing there somewhere
> and so can't get to a testing point at all :(

for FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE you might try something like

Installation FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE xen

Hardware
x86 Pentium 4 1.7 GHz, 1 GB RAM
dom0 on minimal 2GB Compactflash (OpenSUSE 11.0 e.g.) using 256 MB dom0
memory
a couple of harddrives

Installation procedure
- do fresh installation FreeBSD 6.2 on harddrive ( chosen to install
everything)
- login into system and do
- cd /var/tmp
- svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/release_6_3_xen/
release_6_3_xen
- mv /usr/src /usr/src.ORG
- mv /var/tmp/release_6_3_xen /usr/src

then usual make world
  cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
  cp XEN <hostname>
  cd /usr/src
  make buildworld KERNCONF=<hostname>
  make buildkernel KERNCONF=<hostname>
  make installkernel KERNCONF=<hostname>
  make installworld KERNCONF=<hostname>
  the installed xen kernel will not boot, use kernel.old instead

- cp FreeBSD xen kernel from /boot/kernel/kernel to dom0 partition
- create xm config file <xen-configfile> using vi
----
#
# FreeBSD 6.3 RELEASE XEN configuration
# Volker Jahns, volker@thalreit.de
#
name = 'nemo'
memory = '512'
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sr0,cdrom,r', 'phy:/dev/sdc,hda,w' ]
vif = [ 'mac=aa:cc:00:00:00:02, bridge=xenbr0' ]
on_shutdown = 'destroy'
on_reboot = 'destroy'
on_crash = 'destroy'
kernel = '/usr/lib/xen-freebsd/kernel-FreeBSD-6.3-releng'
on_crash = 'preserve'
extra = 'boot_verbose'
extra += ',boot_single'
extra += ',vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/xbd1s1a'
extra += ',xencons=tty'
----
- start domU
  xm create -c /etc/xen/<xen-configfile>

The config above uses a physical harddrive ( Letter D: or /dev/sdc in
Linux syntax). These instructions should serve only as a guidance, and
contain probably errors as it is just a quick writeup.

--
Volker Jahns, volker@thalreit.de