Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 13:53:51 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   When to merge to stable [Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/finger finger.c]

> I think it's important to push _some_ features into stable.  Having to
> wait several years for the next major "point-oh" release of FreeBSD
> (which comes with "point-oh fear" holding it back) is not the best
> way to do things.  IMO.  There's a place between these two extremes
> of paranoia and wild abandon, and I think that's where the MFCs should
> take place.

Which is essentially what the committer's guide tries to say.  I have
to agree with Christopher here - there's no hard-and-fast rule about
merging which will result in 100% success at effectively balancing
user-desired features with appropriate caution, except perhaps "BE
CAREFUL!"  We've made mistakes at both extremes of the spectrum in the
past and, being frail humans, will probably make them in the future.

<zooming-out-to-larger-viewpoint>

If I had 3 wishes and could ask for anything I wanted, my first wish
would be that were more "hands" involved with -stable and fewer public
statements from various committers, as often seen in the past,
disclaiming any interest in working with -stable or saying that it's
too much trouble to keep up with anything but -current.  That has a
demoralizing effect on the people who DO value and work with -stable
and sends the wrong message to our user base as well.  We can't very
well say that users should avoid -current out of one side of our
mouthes and then say we don't do development in anything but -current
out of the other side.

We've also historically tried to be nice about this and not brow-beat
our volunteer developers into having to go back and looking at "old
code", leading to a situation where at least 95% of committers work in
-current and some mysterious cadre of other folks handle the job of
actually getting stuff back into -stable.  I even often attempted to
do that by myself until the diffs routinely got up into the 50MB range
and I realized (and publically proclaimed) that that was way too much
diffage to look at and the process was getting dangerously error prone
as a result.  People have since gotten a lot better about attending to
-stable, don't think I haven't noticed that, but I think we still have
a ways to go when it comes to the general committer perspective on it.

Perhaps it's time to consider some changes to our policies on -stable?

</zooming-out-to-larger-viewpoint>

- Jordan

P.S. No, I'm not going to tell you what my other two wishes would be. :-)