Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 23:35:02 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd(?) sh/make behaviour.

In the last episode (Feb 24), Mike Smith said:

> I'm looking at a Makefile that does:
>
> foo::
> 	(set -e; cd foo; unset BAR BAZ; ./something; make stuff)
>
> Now, if I walk up to sh and say 'set -e; unset FOO' where foo doesn't
> exist, sh immediately exit.  At this point, make throws in the towel.
>
> But GNU make doesn't, and for that matter, sh doesn't exit under GNU
> make either, despite the 'set -e'.
>
> So who's right?  Is it correct behaviour for 'unset' to return nonzero
> if the requested variables weren't set in the first place?  It doesn't
> seem to be intended that this command should fail (the entire item
> fails to build if that's the case...)

hmm.  I just saw this exact same problem in an Imakefile provided with
the "vnc" program ( http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/ ); a PC-Anywhere-type
program that lets you control a win95-PC or X-terminal from a win95-PC,
X-terminal, or Java-enabled web browser.  It's the first free app I've
seen that lets you control a PC from X.

I ignored the sh problem by just removing the offending "unset
MAKEFLAGS MAKELEVEL".  xmkmf didn't seem to notice the loss, and Xvnc
works beautifully (after some other patches to get xmkmf to produce the
right Makefiles).

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com