Date:      Sat, 5 Nov 2005 19:35:36 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: twe and giant

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 06:36:56PM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Hello all,
>=20
> I was just wondering about this...  I recently bumped a soon-to-be=20
> production box to 6.0 as it seems like upgrading now is easier than doing=
=20
> it the week after the box goes into production (it's amazing how the=20
> release engineering team knows to schedule this way...:).
>=20
> One thing I noticed in reviewing the boot messages is that twe is still=
=20
> under the giant lock:
>=20
> twe0: <3ware Storage Controller. Driver version 1.50.01.002> port=20
> 0x2860-0x286f mem 0xf4000000-0xf47fffff irq 17 at device 13.0 on pci0
> twe0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> twe0: 4 ports, Firmware FE8S 1.05.00.068, BIOS BE7X 1.08.00.048
>=20
> I bring this up because I could have sworn that I read here or elsewhere=
=20
> that this driver was revamped.  I also could have sworn that at some poin=
t=20
> in 5.x it was not under giant.  Maybe I'm imagining things...

Under later 5.x the message was not reported except under boot -v
because too many people were seeing the message and panicking thinking
that it was a regression compared to 4.x, since 4.x didn't say
anything about giant locking (but of course under 4.x the ENTIRE
KERNEL was giant locked).

> Anyhow, does anyone know the status of this, and also is there a central=
=20
> repository that tracks changes like this that I can watch?

Yes, you can subscribe to the cvs mailing lists.

Kris

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl--