Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:36:28 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "David S. Jackson" <dsj@dsj.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compiling mixer.c

How recently have you cvsupped your ports tree?  Try that and then
make clean   in the port dir, and then try building the port again.
That often works because new patches get committed.   Just trying the
make clean before retrying the build may work too.

On Saturday January 27, 2001 12:11, David S. Jackson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was doing a make && make install under /usr/ports/audio/xmms and
> wound up getting a whole bunch of other stuff made too.

That's pretty normal.  That's how a port works.  If it requires other
things, it will also build those and then finish building the one you
asked for. A quick and dirty way of finding out what port dependencies
will be built is to run a make clean in the port dir.  For ex:
cd /usr/ports/audio/xmms; make clean
will list all the things the xmms port requires.  There is another way
of doing that, but I can never remember it and can't find it in my mail
right now.

> while making all in esd ( I think ), I get the following error while
compiling mixer.c:

I am a little confused about the make targets for the ports as the
ports manpage says one thing and Greg's book says another, but
make install     always works for me,  and I usually do
make install clean     to get rid of the extra stuff from the build
process.

					Tim