Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:45:33 -0800
From:      Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>
To:        bms@spc.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (Fwd) ip_output() does not checksum outer header

Where are you capturing the network traffic?  I've noticed some checksum
weirdness in tcpdump with NICs that provide hardware checksum.

Are you seeing bad header checksums in netstat -s ?

Skye

Word on the street is that Dan Langille said:
> I am forwarding this on behalf of Bruce (his DNS is borked and thus he
> cannot send to the lists).  Please don't CC me in the replies, only Bruce.
>
>  Thanks.

> Date sent:      	Fri, 25 Jan 2002 23:35:38 +0000
> From:           	Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
> To:             	dan@langille.org
> Subject:        	ip_output() does not checksum outer header
>
> Dan,
>
> if you could forward this on to freebsd-net I would be most grateful.
>
> I have completed most of the code to implement GRE as a regular
> interface driver under 4.4-STABLE using the cloner interface. This
> has all worked fine in local tests. Tonight, whilst testing with
> a remote site, we noticed that the encapsulating IP datagram header
> around the GRE header does not have any header checksum.
>
> I have checked, checked and re-checked the m->m_len, m->m_pkthdr.len,
> m_pullup() results et al and can find nothing out of the ordinary.
>
> This is driving me mad right now, can anybody shed any light on the
> problem?
>
> Regards,
> Bruce.

> --
> Dan Langille
> The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples

1966 MGB - GHN3L     Safety Fast!             __,__\__
The MGB Experience   www.mgbexperience.com   (_o____o_)