Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:50:27 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral)
Cc:        sos@freebsd.dk, rnordier@nordier.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to add a new bootdevice to the new boot code ???

Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> "Søren Schmidt" wrote:

> > > I know you most certainly could not possibly have forgotten that,
> > > but it's the kind of thing that just *must* be mentioned...
> > > /etc/fstab?
> >
> > Nope thats not it, been there too :)
>
> Ok, I have a clue... bootdev can be different from rootdev. I don't
> know where this makes a difference, but it makes... :-)

In loader, you can have a default device (currdev), but load from
a different device (loaddev) and pass a third device to the kernel
(rootdev).  In the simple case of booting from ad0, all the default
settings would be correct, though.

> Also, make sure you don't have any root_disk_unit or num_ide_disks
> set.

A num_ide_disks setting is used only where the major# indicates a
SCSI device, so it wouldn't affect things.

--
Robert Nordier