Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 19:31:36 +0100
From:      "Arne H. Juul" <Arne.Juul@idt.ntnu.no>
To:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Just CVS (was Re: CVS question, sendmail, named)

> 	nexgen: {13}  cvs co -P -r RELENG_2_2 src
> 	cvs: in directory .:
> 	cvs: must set the CVSROOT environment variable
> 	cvs: or specify the '-d' option to cvs.
> 	cvs [co aborted]: You don't have a CVSROOT environment variable
> 	nexgen: {14}
>
> This is a quick way to get almost the exact same error message as I
> got attempting to roll my own release (2.2-GAMMA, sometime last
> week).  It was suggested that I'd have the CVS stuff if I used cvsup
> to be current. So I studied /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile. I
> *think* it required slight modifications. This is my cvsup-2.2 with
> comments removed:
>
> 	*default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
> 	*default base=/usr
> 	*default prefix=/usr
> 	*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_2_2
> 	*default delete use-rel-suffix
> 	*default compress
> 	src-all
> 	ports-all tag=.
>
> Think I needed the tag= items to get the proper files? And I changed
> prefix so it would act on /usr/src and /usr/ports without moving
> them to /home/ncvs. Maybe this was a mistake?

Yes.  If you want the full CVS tree, you should probably put it
anywhere *but* directly in /usr.  That will put the cvs files under
/usr/src/...,  but there you want the source tree, which is what
you get when you *checkout* from CVS.  I'm using /usr/cvs; /home/ncvs
or wherever you have disk space is also fine.

> So back to the original question: I'm lacking a CVSROOT and I don't
> have a ~/.cvsrc. How to I get there from here? Is there something I
> need in addition to src-all in my cvsup file?

Well, as the error message says, you need to "set the CVSROOT
environment variable or specify the -d option to cvs".  This
tells cvs where it can find the cvs tree.  If you want to
be able to "make release" you *must* set the CVSROOT env.var.
first; also those example commands that was posted assume that
you have CVSROOT set.  My "do-cvs-update" script looks like:

cd /usr
cvs -q -d /usr/cvs update -d -P -r RELENG_2_2 src
cvs -q -d /usr/cvs update -d -P ports

So I get the 2.2 source tree but current ports, and of course it
won't work unless your CVS tree is in /usr/cvs.

Hope this helps; this covers almost all my cvs knowledge :-)

  -  Arne H. J.