Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2009 01:10:10 -0500
From:      Ben Kaduk <minimarmot@gmail.com>
To:        Peter Maxwell <peter@allicient.co.uk>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Omission in FreeBSD Handbook documentation (Jails/Application of)

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Peter Maxwell <peter@allicient.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've used the very useful guide at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails-application.html
> to setup multiple jails on a server, and have just realised there is a
> possible ommission (or something that's just been glossed over) in the
> guide.
>
> In section "15.6.1.4 Upgrading", it details how to perform an upgrade
> and rebuild world for the jails.  Unfortunately, the "skeleton" file
> set that was described in "15.6.1.2 Creating the Template" isn't
> referenced and the skeleton files remain unchanged (these are the
> template files for /etc and such like in the jail, and probably should
> be updated).
>
> Just thought that it should either be detailed, or warned about in the
> docs.  I don't know how they are edited, but if you wish, I'm willing
> to do the amendments.

Hi Peter,

If you're serious about doing the amendments in the "most proper way",
you can check out the FreeBSD Documentation Primer, here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html
That will show you how to check out the sources for the FreeBSD
documentation, and you can make your changes and see how they look,
then submit a patch.

Of course, that's a lot of work, and we don't expect that out of
everyone!  Feel free to just write up some text about how you think it
should look, and submit a PR with it --- we can take care of the
markup if you're not feeling up to it.

Thanks,

Ben Kaduk