Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:16:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@nren.nasa.gov>
To:        "FreeBSD-Net (FreeBSD.Org)" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tulip drivers for BSD.

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> > Can any one tell me the sites for "Well Documented" Tulip drivers for BSD.
> > I did search a lot but failed.
>
> man de
>
> They're included in the system; you don't have to go fetch them from some
> website somewhere.

Yes, and, when last I looked at it, the Tulip cards were
the most efficient available when it comes to multicast,
and, very good wrt high-bandwidth CPU efficiency.

Unfortunately, over the last year, most companies shipping
NICs have stopped marking on the packages what chipset
they use, and some have switched chipsets within the
same product line.  At this point, I have no idea how
to tell which current product lines use the Tulip chipset.
Is anyone keeping a current list?  Is the Tulip chipset
still in production/widespread use?

What are FreeBSD'ers recommending these days wrt multicast
and CPU efficiency (and, which is currently supported)?

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    Email: lamaster@nren.nasa.gov
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:    lamaster@nas.nasa.gov